A caldillo is the perfect Tex-Mex comfort food. This easy to make stew recipe will warm your body and your soul.
1 lb. lean stew meat
1 – 2 Tbl. Olive Oil
½ cup onion, diced
2-4 cloves minced garlic
1 ½ tsb. Garlic Powder
1 tsb. Salt
1 tsb. Garlic Salt
¼ tsb. Cumin
1 tsb. Pepper
1 jar Jaime’s Spanish Village Hot Green Salsa
¼ cup water
1 potato, chopped and peeled
2 pieces of Mexican Squash, chopped
1 Tbl. Cilantro, chopped
1 small can of chopped tomatoes
- Cover the bottom of a large cooking pot with olive oil. Let it heat.
- While the oil heats, cut the meat into smaller pieces if need be.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add meat, garlic, and spices into the pot. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Once the meat is browned, add salsa, water, potato, and squash
- Cook on low heat (put the lid on the pot) for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Serve with tortillas and garnish with Mexican cheese